A smile that shows too much of the gums is sometimes referred to as a “gummy smile.” While a gummy smile is not a health concern, it can be an aesthetic concern. Someone who has a gummy smile may feel self-conscious about the appearance of his or her smile and may try to avoid smiling with his or her mouth open out of embarrassment. A gum lift procedure can quickly and easily remedy this situation and provide beautiful results. It is a relatively fast and quite simple procedure, but it has a major impact on the appearance of the patient’s entire face.
Correcting a Gummy Smile With a Gum Lift
- A cosmetic gum lift, also known as crown lengthening or a gingivectomy, is done by a periodontist. In the past, crown lengthening was used to treat gum disease. Today, however, it is used as a cosmetic procedure to even out the gum line and show more of the teeth, resulting in a smile that looks bigger and more beautiful.
- For patients who have gums that cover a large portion of their front teeth, or for patients whose upper lip comes up high, a gum lift is often the perfect solution. Almost anyone who feels self conscious about his or her gums is likely to be a good candidate for a gum lift.
- Gum lifts are often part of a smile makeover, particularly when veneers are involved. If the patient desires a larger or less gummy smile, the gum lift will be completed before any other procedures (such as the application of porcelain veneers). Some time must pass in between gum contouring and the application of veneers or other cosmetic treatments to allow the gums to heal.
The Gum Lift Procedure
- Getting a gum lift makes a big difference in the appearance of the smile, and in many cases, the procedure is painless.
- The first step is for the patient to receive light sedation and anesthesia for the gums to make the procedure as comfortable as possible for the patient.
- Next, the periodontist removes a small portion of the gums and bone to make the teeth that show when the patient smiles appear longer, larger, and more symmetrical.
- Finally, the gums are sutured into their proper places, creating an even, attractive gum line.
Having gums that cover too much of the teeth detracts from the beauty of one’s smile. Fortunately, a gummy smile can be easily and painlessly corrected with a simple gum contouring procedure. There is no need to continue to allow your gummy smile to make you feel insecure about your appearance. If you are looking for a dentist to fix your gummy smile, contact Dr. Rick Coker’s Smile Studio in Tyler, TX.